"I can already feel the changes from the yoga challenge. First, my legs are changing: getting much stronger and more flexible too. Second, I have acclimated to the heat to such a degree that I actually miss the warmth of the room on my days off. It's nice to know that I have the discipline to do a challenge like this." -BYSJ student Virag
"The yoga challenge has shown me I can do anything- even the 5:30am class!" -BYSJ student Eve
Spring "Choose Your Own" Yoga Challenge!
This May we completed our first studio-wide Yoga Challenge! Yoga Challenges help you reach deeper into your practice, refine your postures, gain a better understanding of your body, astound yourself with your capacity to totally rock a darn hefty feat- but mostly, challenges are a fantastic way to form the best habit of your life: a regular Bikram yoga practice.
How it Works:
- Choose to practice 15, 20, 25 or 30 days in May!
- Keep track of your progress by placing a sticker on our Challenge board in the lobby for every class you attend.
- Make it a 60-Day Challenge (60 classes in 60 days) and get a commemorative T-shirt, plus be entered to win the Grand Prize: a WAY Mat, a Bikram yoga book, and a $50 account credit (a $130+ value!) Not to mention the glowing vibrant health you will experience after 60 days of yoga!
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions related to Yoga Challenges:
- Why a 30 or 60-Day Challenge? Bikram Choudhury tells his students: "Give me 30 days, I’ll change your body. Give me 60 days, I'll change your life." The goal of a 30- or 60-Day Challenge is to come to yoga every day for 30 (or 60) days. This is the ideal way to see very clearly and quickly the positive physical and mental changes that arise from a consistent yoga practice.
- Are 30 or 60 days of yoga in a row too much? No way. Bikram Yoga is different from many other forms of exercise: Because yoga doesn’t tear the muscles, your body doesn’t need "rest days" to repair itself between classes. Bikram yoga is safe to do every day, even twice a day! Just make sure you are hydrating super, super well (ask an instructor if you're not sure what that means!) and fueling your body with nutritious foods, especially electrolytes like sodium and potassium.
- What are some of the benefits of a daily practice? Daily practitioners sleep better, improve flexibility and muscle tone, lose weight, handle stress better, smile more, feel more confident, see faster improvements in their postures, and find other forms of exercise and daily activities easier. A daily yoga practice will also teach you to pay better attention to your body's signals and changes in and out of the hot room.
- How often do Challenges happen? Bikram Yoga St. Johns hosts studio-wide challenges a couple of times a year, but you can take on a personal 30 or 60 (or 10 or 100!) Day Challenge at any time. Make the most of our unlimited class memberships and come every day for as long as you like! You will absolutely enjoy a healthier, happier life the more often you practice yoga. We even have a Challenge board in the lobby where you can keep track of personal challenges all year round.
- What if I can’t come every day during a Challenge? No problem! The "Choose Your Own Adventure" challenge allows you to choose a realistic goal depending on your schedule: 15, 20, 25 or 30 days in May. And of course: work, kids, a flu (or that curry you had for breakfast!) may sometimes keep you from getting to yoga when you mean to. You can always use a Challenge to simply commit to attending class more often than you usually do. For example, if you normally attend 3 classes a week, make your Challenge to attend 5 days. If you skip a day, take 2 classes the next day to make up for it. (Yes, you can!) There are many ways to customize a Challenge, but the goal is always the same: practice yoga as much as possible to maximize your health and happiness.