Especially if you practice Bikram yoga daily (shout out to our Revolution Challengers!!) it's critical to replenish your electrolytes and fuel your body with all the nutrients it needs. One of the most delicious ways to do that is by eating plenty of hydrating fruits and veggies. Here's one of our favorite go-to recipes, full of leafy greens and citrus. "Pro" tip: double the ingredients and keep the extra salad in the fridge for lunch tomorrow!
Ingredients for 2 servings
4 cups kale, thinly sliced in ribbons
1 can chickpeas/ garbanzo beans
1/2 avocado (use other 1/2 for garnish)
1 grapefruit, sectioned then cut in chunks
Tahini Citrus dressing:
1-1 1/2 Tbsp creamy tahini
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp maple (or agave) syrup
a few pinches black pepper
a few pinches cayenne (more if you like it spicy)
a pinch of sea salt
water if needed to thin it out
1. Add dressing ingredients to small bowl, whisk together.
2. Rinse your greens. Pat dry between paper towels and chop.
3. Rinse beans and toast briefly on a frying pan (optional)
4. Dice avocado, add to greens bowl. Set aside 1/2 of it sliced for garnish.
5. Add dressing to greens bowl and toss well.
6. Fold chickpeas and grapefruit chunks into greens.
7. Serve right away, or refrigerate covered for up to 3 days.
Adapted from the recipe at https://www.popsugar.com/Kale-Chickpea-Power-Salad-sweet-tahini-dressing-26959938
Bikram Yoga St. Johns' studio owner, yoga-doer and life-lover, Kay D.