Practicing Bikram yoga under especially steamy conditions takes a bit of extra attention and planning, so check out these tips for summer self-care- then come on in and cool down a bit (for a change!)
5 Tips for Bikram Yoga in the Summer
- Hydrate. Proper hydration is super important for every physical activity and especially during hot weather. Since you sweat buckets in Bikram yoga, hydration is even more crucial. Hot yogis should drink at 1.5 to 2 times the standard recommended water intake of about 64 oz per day- more when it's also hot outside.
- 'Lyte it up! Electrolytes are salts and minerals including sodium, potassium, and calcium that your body sweats out along with all that water you drank. Dizziness, headaches, cramping and fatigue can all be symptoms of electrolyte deficiency. We love natural beverages that are low in sugar and come from nature, like coconut water. A mixture of water, sea salt and lemon juice is great to restore a balance of electrolytes and keep you spunky for class.
- Nom nom nom. Make sure you nourish your body with whole, healthful foods throughout the day. Everyone is different, but a good place to start is allowing two hours after a light snack or four hours after a heavy meals before you start your yoga practice. Having a full belly does not make yoga more fun.
- Take it easy, honey. Only you know how far is right for you to push. When muscles are warm, it’s easier to stretch them- so you might enjoy increased range of motion during summer practice. However, you may also become slightly dehydrated from a long day outdoors in the sun. Back off on intensity as needed. If you ever feel dizzy or ill, take breaks by sitting down or resting in savasana.
- Dress for success. Bikram yoga is not the time to be modest! Tight-fitting clothes are best, as looser garments trap heat. Cotton is no good: it won't breathe, and will get soaked and heavy. The more exposed skin, the better your body can cool itself using the evaporation of your sweat. So ditch the leggings and wear some biker shorts and a sports bra. Bonus: you will get to see more of your beautiful amazing body in the mirror! That's right. And if you don't agree that your body is beautiful and amazing? All the more reason to take a closer look during class. Learn to love what you see in here, and swimsuit season will never steal your peace again.